Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
A little cup of warmth, I am sending your way
For you to enjoy, On some cold and lonely day.
As you sip this soup, it will warm you heart
Like our friendship warmed mine, right from the start.
The recipe is adjusted for whole milk, so if planning to use milk with less fat, use less spices (~ 1/2-3/4). You can always add more later.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 lb sweet potato (~1.5 med sized), cooked
- 1 cup milk (2%, whole, coconut milk, etc.)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, processed to chunks in a blender
- 1 lrg onion
- 2 med. garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs + 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbs peanut butter
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
Time~ 30-45 min
(To cook sweet potatoes: Pierce with a fork a few times. Place in an oven-safe dish. Bake @ 350 or 375 Fahrenheit for at least 1.5 hrs for a nice slow release of natural sugars. Allow to cool and peel.)
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat saute the onion in enough oil ’till translucent or lightly browned (~10 minutes). Mix in the garlic and ginger and saute longer (~1-2 min). Add the rest of the spices and stir ’till fragrant (~ 1 min). Use more oil or a bit of water to prevent the spices from burning.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender to a paste, using some water or cooked sweet potato if needed. Add in the rest of sweet potato and puree along with a cup of water.
- Place back on the stove, bring to simmer and lower heat. Whisk in milk, peanut butter and peanut chunks.
- Add more water to reach desired consistency. Taste & adjust seasoning/spices. Serve warm.