Spicy Sweet Potato Apple Sauce Soup
Lately, I have been on a sweet potato jag; had it with butter, had it with peanut butter, and it was only a matter of time before I turned it into a soup with my top 2 favorite spices.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4):
- 2 med sweet potatoes (~ 10-13 oz each)
- 1.5 cup apple sauce
- 0.5 cup coconut milk ( or reg. milk 2% or whole,…)
- 1 med onion, thinly sliced
- 2 med garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5- 2 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp Madras curry (or any other)
Time~ Prep- Cook: 30 min
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork a couple of times. Place in an oven-safe dish and bake for 1.5 hrs.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium heat, saute the sliced onion in enough oil ’till it browns (~ 10 min).
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and saute longer (~ 1-2 min).
- Add the curry and stir ’till fragrant (~ 1 min). Add more oil or water to prevent the spices from burning.
- Mix in the apple sauce along with a bit of water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before moving to a large bowl to puree with an immersion blender.
- Add in the cooked sweet potato and coconut milk and gently pure to get a creamy consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, add more apple sauce or another sweetner for a sweeter taste.
- Add more coconut milk/water to reach desired consistency.