Mast-o Sabzi (Yogurt & Herb Dip)
This is a quick Borani (cooked vegetables in yogurt) that I made to go with our dinner. The thick creamy texture of yogurt with a medley of fragrant herbs distinctive to Persian cooking livens up any grub. Iranians usually just scoop it up with piece of naan that they shape into a funnel, but you can use a chip.
Personally, I like to put Borani or straight up plain yogurt or khoresh (Persian stews) on a crusty tahdig.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 lrg garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, stems removed & chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, stems removed & chopped
- 1/2 green onion, bulbs removed & chopped
- 1-1.5 cup plain yogurt
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
Time: 10 min
- In a pan, saute the garlic in enough oil/butter (~1-2 min).
- Add in the dried and fresh herbs. Cover and cook on low heat (~ 5 min) with just enough water.
- Stir in yogurt with salt and pepper.