This is the marina I prepared to go with our Sunday night cheese stuffed Italian meatloaf (see here). I was hoping they’d be some left over, so I can have it as a soup later on. What!…is that a big no no? Well I am thinking of doing it anyways.
Ingredients (1.5 cup):
- 1 onion (~1 cup), diced
- 2 med. garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1.5-2 cups fresh ripe tomatoes (skin removed, if preferred), diced & pureed
- 1 Tbs fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1.5 tsp salt & fresh ground black pepper
Time~ 25 min
- In a large skillet, over med. heat, saute the onion in enough oil ’til translucent (~5- 10 min.). Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the wine and cook on high heat, ’til almost all the liquid evaporates (~3 minutes). Stir in the tomatoes, parsley or basil, salt, and pepper.
- Cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 15 minutes.