Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf with a Hint of Rosewater
If my lights were on at 4 in the morning, that’s because I was baking. No, no, that’s not how much I love cake. Just that, we waz up and decided to put my time to good use. Mind you, I had to check, recheck and triple check all the measurements ’cause funny things happen to your noggin when it’s sleep deprived.
Soon as it was done, it dawned on me that lemon bread is also my partner’s favorite, who is gluten-intolerant. So, I set out to make the gluten-free version, as it’s usually no fun when everybody is eating and you’re drooling. As you might have guessed already, I took both to LPB jobsite and we all enjoyed a piece. The boys bring their own pick-me-up, I provide the cheer-me-up. A little bite of sweetness in the company of friends is the best solution to a long day.
If you have a gluten-free bread mix at home, you can follow the same recipe. The loaf will keep for at least a week and texture will set more each day.
You can certainly bake half the batch in 2 mini aluminum loaf pans (5 in.x 3 in.x 1). Bake time will be more around 40 minutes.
Ingredients (1 loaf ~10 slices):
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour ( or gluten-free bread mix)
- 1.5 Tbs poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Wet (room temp.)
- 6 Tbs buttermilk
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 lb butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2.5 Tbs lemon zest (3.5 large lemons)
- 2 x-lrg eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4- 1 Tbs rosewater
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- rose petals to garnish (optional)
Time~ Prep: 30-45 min Bake: 45 min
- In a bowl combine all ingredients from the Dry list. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients from the Wet list. Set aside. This is the buttermilk mixture.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer ’till soft and frothy (~5 min). If you don’t have a mixer, partially melt the butter and whisk in the sugar ’till creamy. Mix in the lemon zest.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time. This is your butter batter.
- Alternately add the flour and buttermilk mixture to the butter batter and mix ’till smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Grease and flour 9×5 inch loaf pan. Turn upside down to rid of excess flour. Line with a parchment paper, if you have any.
- Pour batter in. Smooth the top. Place in the oven and bake for 45 min OR ’till the edges brown and the inserted toothpick to the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, stir together the ingredients from the Syrup list and cook on low heat ’till sugar is dissolved and the syrup thickens(~4-5 min).
- When cake is done, allow to cool well (~ 20 min), otherwise your cake will crumble.
- Invert the pan and the loaf should drop out.
- Place on a plate. Spoon over the lemon syrup, gently massage it in. Allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix the glaze ingredients with a fork. Pour over the cake and allow to drizzle to sides.
- Garnish with rose petals if preferred.