Kuku-e Loobia (Green Bean Kuku)
Persians are pretty good at turning everything into a kuku, frittata-like dishes with less eggs and no cheese. The reason cheese is not included is that the only kind they have is paneer, very similar to feta cheese or Bulgarian cheese, that doesn’t go with everything. But, I bet Persian kukus would rock, if any of the Western, especially Italian, cheeses were added on. Just don’t tell ’em you did that.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each turmeric & cinnamon
- 1 lb green beans, (if fresh, ends removed, if frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 Tbs flour (any)
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 0.5 lime/lemon, juiced
- Steam cook green beans for 8-10 min.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, saute the sliced onion in enough oil/butter ’till slightly browned (~5-10 min). Add minced garlic and cook longer (~2 min). Stir in turmeric ’till fragrant (~ 1 min). Mix in the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Finley chop green beans and green bell pepper, in a food processor. Chop coarsely or finely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and add all the ingredients. Mix evenly.
- Pour mixture in an oiled oven proof serving dish, cover with a foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil halfway through.
- Heat some oil/butter in a pan. Pour mixture in and evenly distribute with the spatula. Cover and cook on med.-low for 20 min.
- With your spatula, section into pizza slices and carefully turn for the other side to cook (~20 min). Remove cover.
Serve warm with naan (bread).