Kuku-e Karafs (Celery Leaf Frittata)
If you get to know me, you’d find out how much I loath to throw away food. My mom’s reminders of “starving kids in Africa” stuck, and from what I’ve learned, mom’s in the West use the Chinese version of the same story to get their kids to eat their plates clean.
A couple of days ago, after buying lots of celery, I was left with a whole bunch of celery leaves, which I decided to turn into a Kuku (a frittata-like dish), rather than toss. The dis is light and simple, and you certainly could add cheese to it for a more savory flavor.
Ingredients (serves 2-4):
- 3 cups celery leaves, chopped in a food processor
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp dried mint
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
Time~ Prep: 10 min Cook: 30 min
- Preheat the oven to 375 degress F.
- Beat the eggs along with baking powder, salt, pepper and turmeric in a med. bowl.
- Add in the celery leaves and mix.
- Pour the mixture in a greased oven-proof dish and bake for 30 minutes or until the edges turn brown.