Creamy Mashed Potato with Sliced Almonds
My partner and I went hiking up Bass Creek Trail yesterday. There is quite a bit of snow up at the top and around the pond as you can see. It was only a two-mile uphill, but we were both so tired from the day’s physical activity, that food was all we could talk about on the way back. For future reference, this is not a smart way to handle hunger.
Once we got home, we set out to prepare the quickest meal possible that would hit all our spots. He cooked the chicken, while I prepared the mashed potatoes and made it extra creamy as requested. As you can see, the recipe is pretty standard, but I just had to do something ‘different’ about it, hence the sliced almonds for a bit of crunch.
If you wish to make substitutions with lower fat ingredients make sure to use less garlic.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 4 med. size (~ 6 oz) potatoes, cooked (leave skin on if organic)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 mozzarella cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, minced OR 1.5 tsp garlic powder (see head note)
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Time~ 20 min
- If you haven’t already, cook/boil/steam potatoes ’till tender (~ 15-20 min for Russet Potatoes).
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds using a small amount of oil/butter (~3-4 min). Be careful they burn fast. Set aside.
- Saute the minced garlic (~1 min) in a bit of oil/butter over med.-low heat. Err on the side of undercooked if you love garlic.
- Mix the first six ingredients in a bowl with your hands or a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds.