Cornbread with Roasted Red Peppers & Cheese
I was just at my old gym and ran into one of my very good friends, Ron, whom I hadn’t seen since Summer! He is, the kinda guy that makes a place feel like home for the ones around him, and instead of putting people through pictures of his grandkids, he is quick to whip out his iphone, and show off the wild life photos from his latest adventures. Some of those photos include close ups of a bear! Some call it crazy or brave, I call it tuned into nature and the consciousness we all share.
After giving me the customary big hug and kiss, Ron said he’s been coming to my blog to ‘see’ me, and went on to saying “I donno about your recipes” as he shook his head. I have a feeling my buddy likes his food more on the classic side, so my goal is to try a couple of conventional recipes, ’till I hit a home run.
This cornbread recipe was handed out to me along with a small sample at the health food store, I shop at. I loved it so much, I baked the gluten-free version the next day, and took it to my friends house. I baked it the second time, with small changes, the following weekend and the taste was more to my liking.
As a word of advice, I’d like to remind you that baking is a game of precision; do not give into the temptation of altering any of the ingredients. The great taste of this corn bread hinges on the sweet red peppers, substituting with jalapeno pepper imparts bitterness. Whisking eggs too much will trap in too much air and yield a dome shaped cake that deflates later. A smaller baking dish will require longer baking time.
Ingredients (serves 6-8):
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (brown rice flour for gluten free)
- 1/4 cup sugar/honey
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 lrg eggs
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups ~ 6 oz (lightly packed) grated cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack with jalapenos)
- 1 1/3 cups sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1/2 cup roasted sweet red peppers from jar, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped OR 3 Tbs dried basil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
Time~ Prep: 45 min Cook: 45 min
- Melt enough butter in a nonstick skillet over med-low heat and saute the onion ’till translucent (~ 10 min). Sit aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Blend in the rest of the butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk and eggs. Don’t over do it.
- Add the mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork.
- Mix in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil/butter a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Pour in the mixture.
- Once oven temp. is reached bake cornbread for ~ 45 minutes or ’till golden or inserted toothpick into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 2o min.
- Cover loosely with foil and let stand at room temp.
If desired, rewarm in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
If you prefer your corn bread sweeter, drizzle with honey.