Chai Spiced Stuffed Apples
How about making some stuffed apples for the apple of your eye?
The baked apples tasted exotic enough that my neighbor Al, having had a lot of my Persian cooking and baking, asked: ” What do you call this dessert in Farsi?”
By the way, that’s his beautiful counter top (from Vivocountertops.com) in the picture. Al is talented and the nicest neighbor I ever had.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 6 med. apples (any kind)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped apricots
- 1/2 cup chai spiced black tea
Time ~ Prep: 30 min Cook: 50 min
- Brew chai tea a bit stronger than you normally would.
- Peel tops of the apples. Core with a melon baller or spoon, taking care to keep the bottom intact. Vertically score the outside of each apple 3-4 times without cutting through ( To allow got expansion of the apple). Place in an 8-9 inch square baking dish.
- In a small pot over med. heat, dissolve sugar in chai tea. Add a bit more tea if needed.
- Pour into a small bowl, toss in the dried apricots, raisins and chopped walnuts. Mix well.
- Spoon filling into each apple.The extra liquid can go in the baking dish.
- Dot each apple with a 0.5 tsp butter. Put in the oven and bake @ 350 Fahrenheit for at least 50 minutes.
- Baste occasionally.