Leave it to a cool sounding name to add a little pzazz to your food in case tahini, cumin and parsley weren’t enough. I made it, ate it and loved it. Now it’s your turn.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4):
- 2 medium eggplant (~ 2 lb)
- 1/3 cup tahini/sesame paste
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt & pinch of cayenne
- 1-1.5 Tbs chopped parsley leaves
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- smoked paprika
Time~ Prep: 10 min Cook: 40 min
- For a smokey flavor grill the eggplant over an open flame instead of or in addition to roasting it in the oven ( This step can be skipped). To grill:
- Wrap the eggplant in 3 layers of aluminum foil and bbq for 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the eggplants. Don’t forget to turn.
- If you don’t have a bbq place the wrapped eggplant on gas range grate and grill over medium-high flame for about the same time.
- If you don’t have a gas stove broil the eggplant in the oven (top shelf) for 5-10 minutes on both sides before letting it to cook for another 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and pierce the eggplants a few times with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet/pan and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile roast the garlic in enough oil then add the cumin and stir a few times. Add more oil if needed.
- Scoop the eggplant flesh into a large bowl, discard any liquid, and mash well with a fork.
- Add the garlic, cumin and the rest of the ingredients and mesh again to get a somewhat smooth texture.
- Allow to cool to room temperature. Taste and add finely grated raw garlic or cumin if needed.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and smoked paprika and drizzle olive oil if desired.
Use a blender for a more pasty consistency, if preferred.
Serve cold with pita or tortilla chips as an appetizer.
To make your own chips see here.