Adasi (Lentil Soup)
I have always liked Adasi, but wondered if it was a bit too plain. After 2 years of decorating my lentil soups with the usual carrots & celery, trying it Italian style and experimenting with Indian spices in a dahl, I have come to decide that I like my lentils just the way Maman made it, with just onion and garlic….no fuss, no muss. Sometimes I may include turmeric or chopped mushrooms, but that’s about it.
Ingredients (serves 4-5):
- 2 cups green lentils, soaked for 1/2 hr or more
- 1.5 med-lrg onions, chopped
- 4 sml-med. garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 8-10 white mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- lemon/lime juice
Times~ 15- 30 min
- In a pan saute chopped onions on medium heat ’til translucent (5 min), add garlic and saute for a couple more minutes , add turmeric powder (if using) and stir well.
- Add lentils with enough water (~4-5 cups) .
- Cover and cook the lentils (~5-15 min). Toss in the mushrooms (if using) and cook for for a bit longer ’till the mushrooms are done.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into a bowl, add lemon juice if desired and don’t forget to enjoy.
Merci az shoma (Thank you)