Chicken Mango Curry
I love curry, I love mangoes and this recipe welcomed their seductive duo.
Ingredients (3-4 servings):
- 1-2 Tbs oil (ghee is preferred)
- 1 large onion, chopped (~1.5 cups)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced.
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or white vinegar
- o.5- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 1 1/4 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup raisin
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro for garnish
Time~ Prep: 15 min Cook: 1 hr
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the curry and saute ’till fragrant then add the cumin. Toss in the onions and bell pepper and cook ’till soft (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and ginger and continue cooking for another minute. If the spices absorb all of the oil add a little bit more.
- Add one of the chopped mangoes and vinegar to the pan and cover with enough coconut milk . Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer for about 15 minutes, stir occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Scoop the sauce into a blender. Purée the sauce, pulsing until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan.
- Add chicken pieces to the pan along with salt and pepper and return to a low simmer, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes ’till the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the remaining chopped mango and raisins to the pan. Stir in the rest of the coconut milk. Cook uncovered at a very low temperature for at least another minute or longer if you prefer less liquid in your stew. Do not let boil! Or the milk may curdle.
– Adjust seasonings: If a little too sweet, add a bit more vinegar and if not sweet enough add a bit of sugar.
– Use sugar or other sweetner in place of the first mango if you only have one. The longer it cooks the better it tastes.
– Serve over Basmati rice. Garnish with cilantro.
Bon appetit !